"I had to kill my own God to fall in love for the first time" - Andrea Gibson
the death that brought love
LOVE:
my name literally means it
I exude it
I was born in it, raised in it
but
I had to unravel
unlearn
deconstruct and self-destruct heaven and hell's definitions of love
all of my upbringing telling me who to love, how to love, when to love, and what a family was supposed to look like
how the flood story ended and how life began
how the heavens and earth and waters and sea came to be
... and how we fell from grace
and oh how I fell from grace the first, the second, the hundredth, and the perfect time I fell for someone that in my whole first half of living I was told not to love
forbidden fruit
but none of them as hard as the time I knew I'd arrived
the time I knew that it was real
the time I knew that my past was dead, my god was dead, the old me was no longer me yet still me
then and only then did I fall for the first time
then and only then did I fall in love for all it was supposed to be with all who I was born to be and all that I am
so the time I thought it was perfect the first time, the second time, and even the third or more?
it wasn't
they were all forms of love
but not true love
not pure love
not a love that was all the colors of the rainbow and had been rebuilt from what I knew and what I believed then formed from the clay and ashes of a former me
when I found her?
it was my genesis
my creation
my rebirth
and loving her less "might have been the sweetest gift I could have given my own life, but how that sweetness would have rotted god's teeth" - Andrea Gibson
how? why?
because "I love her, and that is the beginning and end of everything" - F. Scott Fitzgerald
how and why do I love anyone so, so much?
so richly?
so deeply?
so much that people can't even believe it's real, that I'm truly this passionate, THAT into them?
Easy.
my death
I died to myself, my old self years ago
but
I always knew what love was
I always was love
remember? I was born love
it's my name, after all...
but I was also living in spaces not meant for me--worlds of conservatism and naivety and closets
I unraveled my past
created my future
I fell in love
I fell into myself
then...
I fell into her
and she,
if she sees it, trusts herself, trusts love, accepts the love I know she deserves,
is and always will be the luckiest
because she,
oh how she,
ravishes me
I never fell from grace
that, too, was a lie
however, I did fall
but only in love...
1/29/25
No comments:
Post a Comment