1/1/24

SENEGAL + THE GAMBIA

Hi there! Thank you for reading this blog journal/post about my Fulbright Fellowship to Senegal, Africa through the US State Department. All opinions are my own and do not reflect those of the Fulbright programs, US State Department, or my current/past/future places of employment.

 All entries are highlighted in YELLOW.

Entries of more thoughtful depth and insight are highlighted in BLUE. (don't skip these!)

Please also note the dates of entries as some were written many months before the trip.

My trip videos have ALL my photos and videos in them and the links are close below. (don't skip these either!)

Thanks for reading!

~A

Fulbright Background:

What is a Fulbright TGC (Teachers for Global Classrooms) Fellowship Award?

Fulbright awards are some of the most prestigious awards a teacher can get in their career--often the pinnacle of many teachers' careers. Fellows receive online professional development, attend a symposium in Washington DC (our cohort didn't due to COVID), create a Capstone Project which is a guide or resource for their school, and then get to travel to another country during their IFE (International Field Experience). To read more about what a Fulbright TGC Fellow does and receives, click here: https://www.fulbrightteacherexchanges.org/programs/tgc/what-participants-do/

 Major Trip Videos:

1. The first few days in Dakar: https://youtu.be/fi27sjoHcXw 

2. Tambacounda Day 1: https://youtu.be/_uYVg3THvLs

3. Tambacounda week: https://youtu.be/VzC8RtBWJFY

4. The last few days: https://youtu.be/IG1ATAUO_t4

5. Schools in Senegal: (videos by my friend Clarice)

6. The Gambia: https://youtu.be/wXv8wuUy1wI

Entry 1: December 2022

Nine years. 
This is how long it has taken me to see my dream fulfilled. NINE.
I tried for a Fulbright for 7 years before I landed one in 2021. (I travel this spring). I was an alternate in the middle of those years and never gave up my dream. 
 
This year I heard a voice inside me say, “What if I gave you everything you want. All you dreamed of?”
Was it me? 
My own voice? 
God? 
My conscience? 
My future self?
I don’t know.
This year I keep repeating that line daily: “What if I gave you everything you want. All you dreamed of?” 
 
And in the following moments, I imagine those dreams coming to fruition.
 
The past year I’ve gone after other grants, and won them all. 7-8 grants in 7 years. Most this year. But y’all. It’s nothing I’ve done. I mean, sure, my mom says I can write my way out of a paper bag, but 100% I can tell you this: I’m in the right school, with the right demographic of students, with the right people writing my recommendations, and the right support of friends and family. 
 
I have 517737173 creative ideas in my head simultaneously.
I have things I want accomplished before I leave this town or die, whichever one comes first.
I want to leave everything I do better than I found it.
I have another huge grant I’m applying for in a month and I want the support of the community to do more with the 2500 it’s worth.
A lot of my dreams I just want people to come along side me with a fist pump, an hug, or a “Hey let me help!”
I want to find LOVE. Real love. Someone who loves me as much as I will love them.
If only people knew that's all I want in this world. Not even these awards compare to LOVE and what I have to offer in that area.
 
What’s next? 
 
I don’t know.
I have several grants I’m waiting to hear back from.
I have the NYC marathon lottery I sure hope I get in.
I have spring break to chill out. Lol.
I have this Fulbright to Africa in April.
I have the women’s World Cup trip this summer with some friends.
And more than all of these? Like I said: I want love and to settle down. It's all I'm about.
 
But what if I get everything I want and more?
I might.
But in the meantime? Here’s to 9 years.
 

Entry 2: April 17, 2023

I wish I could write down effectively and name all of my emotions right now. The best way for me to describe them is that my anxiety is high and my excitement is through the roof and Brene Brown would tell you that they’re pretty close to the same thing but I have to say that’s a hard no, Brene. Put me on your podcast, and I’ll explain it all. Lol. 
 
Instead, here is where I’m at, and I know you’ve read some of these thoughts before. 
 
Je n’ai pas peur. 
 
Once upon a time, not too long ago in my mid-30s, I fell into a deep almost 2 year depression. I lost myself. I didn’t have the tools to deal with life’s hurdles. I didn’t want to live. After half a year of weekly therapy sessions and some natural meds, I was ready to slowly step out and be who I was born to be. Fully. 
 
A few months after my final therapy session, I decided I needed to start checking things off my bucket list that I’d ignored during the time I was depressed. What most of you don’t know is that prior to signing up for a full 140.6 mile Ironman, I’d only done ONE triathlon. Not a joke. And a one hour YMCA Tri, at that. On a weekend in August of 2017, I made several decisions. 1. I signed up to do the MS150 bike ride, a half Ironman in Austin (11 weeks after I signed up), and a full Ironman. 2. I would start running a mile a day minimum, no excuses, sometime that fall or winter. 3. I would be okay and happy again.
I succeeded at all of the above. And I’m still running a mile a day or more.
 
In this post-depression life I’m living, I’ve found my happy, found myself again, I know how to cope with life, I have a therapist I talk to every few months, and I’ve helped at least half a dozen of you that I know of (maybe more!) find a therapist.
Someday in the near future I'll be publishing my book I wrote about my journey. I can’t wait for you to read my story. Not because I want you to know what happened to me. So you can know you’re not alone and can make it through. 
 
There are several things I am 100% sure of in this life:
that I was born to finish every race I sign up for,
born to travel the world,
born to exude love passionately and be ALL in, 
born to love someone beyond their wildest dreams if they'll only let me in,
and I was born for this moment, and every moment, boring or exciting.
 
Overcoming depression was my mountaintop.
Ironman Lake Placid was my finish line.
The Boston marathon and Fulbright are my victory lap.
And I believe even more good things are coming.
Always. 
 
What you may not realize is that my marathon journey started in the middle of my depression. I finished marathon 1 extremely depressed. My Fulbright journey started before my depression, but I was still applying for it DURING my depression. 
 
Depression doesn’t have a face. 
 
It can hide behind 26.2 miles and going after achievements. 
 
When I get on that plane on Friday, I will finally see this dream realized, but it’s also, like I said, not my mountaintop. It’s just one of many victory laps. It is full proof that I found help and healing, and that I kept on keeping on. I learn something new about my healing almost weekly, and I work insanely hard on my mental health and growing into my best self.
I’m lucky to be alive.
I’m blessed for this amazing year God and the universe has given me.
I believe in the magic of my own life, always.
I believe it will continue to get better and be my best year yet. 
 
Everything and everyone good I have ever wanted and deserved is in my life right now or on its/their way, and y’all:
 
I’m here for it.
 

Entry 3: April 18, 2023

Imagine in the depths of your past you receive a gift. You don't know what the gift is or how it will come to fruition. You just know it for what it is in the day that you're living in.

In my 30s I received the gift of several friendships: Cindy, Aeriele, and Cristina.

In 2015, one of the best years of my life, my travel buddy Kristy and I applied for a grant that Cindy had told us about. Upon the winning of this grant, we ventured to 10 countries and over 30 Holocaust locations, and we did all of this in 28 days. When we returned, we were sent to a conference in DC to meet the other grant recipients and learn about their trips. It was at this conference where Aeriele and Cristina first told me about the Fulbright for Teachers and the various programs Fulbright offered. Interestingly enough, in 2013 I believe it was also Cindy, or possibly my friend Casey D. who had told me about all of the Fulbright programs. In 2014, I decided to apply for my first Fulbright, albeit it was one that wasn't related to teaching. Over the course of several months I designed a project, confirmed sponsors, and applied. Several months later my application was rejected. So when Aeriele and Cristina brought up the Fulbright TGC and other teacher travel options, I was hooked. I need to apply THIS way, I thought. 

As far as my memory serves me, I applied for my first teacher Fulbright in 2016. What you may not know is that during that year I was extremely depressed and suicidal. I didn't want to live. However, in that year of enormous emotional pain, distress, tears, and sadness, I still was functioning: I ran my first marathon, I traveled to Colorado and the Dominican Republic and Upstate NY, and I graduated from MSU with my second masters with a 4.0. 

From that year forward I received "I'm sorry; you didn't get a Fulbright" emails. However for the 2017-2018 Fulbright, I was picked as an alternate. Though not an official winner, this told me that someday would be MY day, so I didn't give up.

My aunt and cousin were two people (of the many) who told me that someday I would be a Fulbright Fellow. My cousin kept telling me, you'll get it! My aunt gave me a magnet that said "A loser is just a winner who tried one more time."

Most of you already know this, but there is NO ONE more proud of myself than me. Thanks for reading and I can't wait to share this trip with you all!

Entry 4: April 19, 2023

Fulbright is not Chick-fil-a. What I mean by that is that this has been a very long, not efficient process for a trip. Without going into crazy details, I received this award in August of 2021 and am just now traveling. In the fall of 2021 the 70 of us who won the award did an online professional development course, which was excellent. After the course ended I was responsible for creating a capstone project that would be for my school I teach at. I created a website full of resources to help K-12 teachers teach about the 20 some cultures and countries that are represented in our district. From then on, it has been a waiting game. We didn't know when we would be traveling until around December or January of this year. We got our plane tickets in late March This week on Tuesday late evening we all received, at last, our trip itinerary. 

There is a group of 14 of us going, and then for a week of the trip 3 of us will be going to a different part of Senegal where it is 115 degrees each day this time of year. Our host in that part is Salamata, and we have already been in contact with her. Clarice and I, one of my partner teachers from the US, raised around $1500 to buy her 300 calculators, rules, protractors, and compasses. I also got her a few tiny gifts from Missouri. Salamata has been nothing but wonderful. She arranged our bus and hotel accommodations and helped us plan the lessons we will teach at her school. 

Packing has been a beast with around 200 calculators in my luggage. I've had to parse down my clothing and everything I'm taking. However, after reading the hotel reviews, I will have to remove some more items as I am adding bed sheets and bed bug spray... YIKES! 

For this trip I did have to get a yellow fever vax, typhoid vax, and also get on anti-malaria meds. Mosquitos love me, so I also am taking long dresses, long pants, and long sleeve shirts to wear daily. Not my norm! haha.

The good thing is that I packed a week ago and currently I'm just waiting on a sleep sheet to arrive in the mail and for my laundry to be done this eve to throw in a few last minute things. :)

Entry 5: April 21, 2023 Departure Day

Today is the day! My friend Sarah took me to the airport. I flew from SGF to CHI to Brussels to Dakar. I met about half of the team in Chicago, and we ate at Tortas Frontera. I was so excited to connect with almost all the ladies who would be on this trip with me. Such amazing, talented women!


Entry 6: Saturday, April 22, 2023

We arrived late due to an issue over Paris, but arrived safely. The weather here is warm, but not horribly hot. The breeze off of the ocean allows for it to feel nice.

Our accommodations were at the ONOMO Hotel Dakar. The reviews online were shady, but overall, I love this place. Very clean and comfortable. We had a welcome dinner with fresh chicken, fish, and the best veggies I've ever had.

I did a small run inside the hotel courtyard around the pool while waiting for team member Clarice to arrive from Madrid. She arrived around 10 pm.





Entry 7: Sunday, April 23, 2023

Before breakfast, Luke, Anne-Michele, and I ran to the ocean and back, then lifted weights. Breakfast was very European: bread, meats and cheese, granola, fruit, and chicken and potatoes. I had a combo of all. lol.

We started the day in a training session under Mouhamadou Sadibou Diouf & Ousmane BA,
In-Country Consultants from Senegal. Both men are very kind. We got our Fulbright pins and did a fun icebreaker game. 

Our session was about the foundations of the Senegalese Education System. Education in Senegal isn't mandatory. There is a national curriculum everyone follows. Teachers make $8000USD a year and 20% of teachers are women. There are around 92K teachers. School does cost money to attend, but is a low fee to do so. English is introduced to students in middle school, as French is the official language. Some schools are named after MLK Jr. and JFK. Principals have no training. Within 5 years, the education department (called the ministry of education) wants to start having local languages at schools, and they also want a shift to STEM education. 

There are thousands of makeshift schools, similar to home schools, but more like a place where people will create a school in a place where there isn't one. Senegal is also trying to get more students to attend university in Senegal as opposed to France, which is 3x the cost. 

We then learned about school lunch/dinner. Due to poverty, meals at school actually attract students to schools. Schools use meals to also teach to share food. There is no feeding/food policy, so there are definitely issues.

There are a lot of English clubs in Senegal to learn how to effectively learn to speak publicly. They also use song and drum/beats to teach English more quickly and make learning fun.

After a coffee/snack break, we had our second training session: Introduction to the Senegalese History and Culture given to us by Ousmane BA.

Senegal has been a country since 1960, when it gained freedom from France via agreements instead of a war. France, however, still has a huge hold on the country as it's the number one place the Senegalese get their imports from. French is also the main language, though most students arrive to school as kids speaking their indigenous languages such as Wolof. All greetings are also done in Wolof. 

One of our facilitators, Ousmane, taught us some phrases and he teaches Wolof on the side. He also has created a Wolof-English dictionary that has been used by the Peace Corps.

We learned some Wolof and a traditional dance, learned about the founding and colonization of Senegal, learned about its leaders past and present, and we learned some Wolof. I'm not good at learning any language, so this was tough for me!

During the afternoon we took our charter bus to the ferry to visit GorΓ©e Island, the main location of the slave trade in Senegal. I had a difficult time wrapping my head around the atrocities that occurred at The House of Slaves and the Door of No Return. Internalizing this as a white person while being around Senegalese people and African Americans is a perspective not easily forgotten. One group member noted the heavy energy in the place: you can feel it. Almost all of the African Americans in our group were in tears. 

 Goree was once a place where the enslaved were brought, separated from their families, then regrouped by gender and/or age. It is believed that 1 out of every 4 children died on the island and didn't make it on a ship. The Door of No Return was more than likely used for the Africans to leave the island and get directly on a boat. Before they got on the boat, the slave building had different rooms/cells where the people would wait. 

My friend Clarice explained that slavery was an old African custom but that the cruel form was invented by the British and carried out more by other Europeans and Americans. African slavery was more of a servant-master role that wasn't dehumanizing. This servant would likely live in the house and eat with you. You also may not have been a slave for life.

Goree, however, is more than one building. Being a UNESCO site, the village is strangely beautiful: colorful houses and buildings, beautiful Baobab trees, and a long path lined with art that leads to a statute at the top of the island. We walked to the top and learned about Senegal being worried about Hitler invading. We went to a sand art demonstration where I purchased two works of art. The artists there are trained for up to 3 years before they're allowed to create and sell their art, or at least that is what our tour guide told us.

We got back on the ferry late, so we went to dinner late at La Terrasse Terroubi Corniche Ouest Boulevard Martin Luther King. It was a very bougie hotel and restaurant. I looked up and saw the rooms there start at $300USD a night and they had a 6 lane lighted pool and private beach. I ate chicken that was average in taste and supposedly cassava that tasted more like quinoa.

 

































 


Entry 8: Monday, April 24, 2023  

This morning we learned about how the Senegalese families are structured and what is valued in culture. Their key values are noted below. Families are very large and focused on sharing, respecting elders, helping others. It was interesting comparing and contrasting cultures and the ways that teenagers might act in American vs. Senegalese culture.

Kolere - I will not forget what you have done for me for life, similar to loyalty

Mun - patience, accepting suffering

Sag - I have nothing, I'm poor, but if you see me you will not know I'm poor because I will dress well and act respectful

Yitte - Taking time, even if just a minute, to show you I care and value you

Maslaa - you're a victim of something and you can punish and have the power to do something but you negotiate instead

Sutura - discretion and decency

Teranga - Hospitality

Kersa - respect for self and others

After this, we loaded up to attend the US Embassy in Dakar where we were given a welcome, then a health and safety briefing. Entering the Embassy takes a lot of time. They scan everything and make you check in all electronic devices and your passports. We were met by diplomats who told us about what the Embassy does and how they forge local relationships, a guy we dubbed Safety Mike who told us how not to die, and by an Asian McDreamy doctor with shoulder length wavy-hair who told us what could make us sick. We also learned that Senegal is strong in GDP and clean energy, but is low on the human development scale.

After a group photo, we returned to our bus to make our first school visit to one of the top middle schools in the city.

Chez KATIA, Almady route de NGOR Mansour SY Middle School
Location: MΓ©dina/Fann
Facilitator: The Principal, Mr. Ousmane Diakhate

I was ultimately shocked by the first school and its condition. We sat in a music class where kids were learning beats. Everything was done in French and on a blackboard. The class was full, many of the seats were broken. I sent some photos to my classes back in the states and my student teacher let me know that the students were shocked.

This is the #2 best middle school in Dakar for scores. Class sizes are 50-70 kids sometimes. Teachers make 8000k USA a year and 80% are male teachers. Middle schoolers are crazy and stinky everywhere, though. I’m pretty sure I go made fun of by half of them, told I was beautiful by the other half, and one boy thought I was a man (not sure how with my earrings and fitted clothing). πŸ˜‚πŸ€¦πŸ½‍♀️🀷🏽‍♀️
Dakar is about the size of KC and all of its suburbs to give context. 

That evening we went to Aby's Garden for dinner and to a grocery store. Clarice and I split pizza, and were ultimately disappointed by the taste and that it didn't actually have Shawarma on it. 















Entry 9: Tuesday, April 25, 2023

School Visit: Alie Codou NDIAYE Primary School
Location: Medina, Dakar
Facilitator: The Director, Mr. Omar DIAGNE

This morning we made a visit to an primary school, and I felt more prepared for what to expect. A few of us sat in a classroom where we were called upon to give a quick 10 minute mini lesson about English greetings. Luckily for us we had Jalila with us and she explained what we were doing in French. I was in charge of teaching Good Morning. 

We then watched the kids finish a PE class before sitting to talk with the teachers and learn about their school. 

After that we had lunch and went to the WARC, West African Research Center, to listen to Mrs. Mariane Yade & Pr. Ousmane Sene, but mostly Ousmane Sene, talk about whatever he wanted to. I was hoping to hear him discuss literature, as he is known to be an expert in it, but he went off on many side tangents. 

After this we headed to the Black Civilization Museum, where we had a small tour that several of us broke away from to explore. I found the museum to be a beautiful building but lacking in a lot of exhibits. I did enjoy the art floor, however.


























Entry 10: Wednesday, April 26, 2023

This morning we attended the FASTEF National Teacher Training School, where teachers train for several years in Dakar. We met with Dr Baidy DIA, Dean of EFL and several others. My favorite presenter of the morning was a young man in charge of an English club. He talked for a while, then his students stood up from the back and gave a compelling skit about the importance of English and language learning. It was even more powerful because a female student was the one who started it.

Maurice Delafosse High School, Mr. Abdoulaye DIOUF, Principal

Awesome morning and afternoon at the training center where people become teachers. We then went to our first high school. There is only ONE female teacher in the English department. In our class we attended, there was one head teacher but 4 other teachers observing. The teachers got into a pedagogical debate in front of the students. I wanted to join mostly because I didn’t agree with the ways the writing was being taught. So I talked myself off my ledge by walking around and helping various students. The final kid, one next to me in the photo spoke VERY good English and wants to study in the states. I told her she looks just like a young Aliyah Boston. She told me the girls were all staring at me not because of my white skin but because of my short hair, but she was impressed I cut it myself. Lol. 

That evening we went to the market to purchase fabric and take it to a tailor. I picked out a blue for me and something for my mom, but used Rebecca's measurements for my mom's dress. We then went to dinner. Market name: Soumbedioune Market. Dinner Location: La Terrasse Terroubi

“The Atlantic Ocean divides us, but everything else unites us.” - Mouhamadou


















 


Entry 11: Thursday, April 27, 2023

Today we had a 9 hour journey from Dakar to Tambacounda. It was long and boring, but we did get to stop and eat at Djolof (similar to a KFC, only BETTER). Upon arrival we met Salamata and her husband and baby. We gave her gifts and ate dinner. Her husband loves saying my name very loudly and forcefully. LOL. I ate kebabs, rice, and drank bissop.

 





Entry 12: Friday, April 28, 2023

 

Today was baptism by fire. I woke up at 7 to run on the local soccer field (red dirt) before breakfast and then a 30 min drive with a driver who had no seat belts to Kothiary. At the high school was a local DJ spinning while a culture festival went on, put on by the students. In the morning we spent an hour meeting and talking to the principal before watching students get dressed and put on their cultural makeup. We walked out to sit down and the DJ introduced us with DMX music. Lol. We watched the dances and ate the food from many areas and ppl groups in and around Senegal. This school has around 750 students 7-12 and has over 20 cultures represented. Sound familiar? Just like Monett!!! I don’t believe this is a coincidence. 
 
We walked across the road to our host’s house to be out of the 112 degree heat. We spent the afternoon in our host’s house eating lunch family style and on the floor and with our hands. Then we all laid down in the same room for a nap. I got overheated so Salamata’s husband gave me ice in a bucket with water so I could cool off. When I came out of the bathroom not wet enough he sent me back into the bathroom. He knows my name and that’s about it so everything he says starts with a loud and assertive AMY! lol. I decided to pour water on my head and clothes enough that he thought I’d showered. Otherwise, I was SURE this man was going to shower me himself. LOL. In the middle of this, Sali was breastfeeding her baby while also getting me toilet paper and teaching me how to use the bathroom. Yes, both breasts hanging out. I made a mess with the water so half of my time was spent sweeping the water into the drain. 
 
Tomorrow I plan to make sure I have more than enough water. LOL.

Video of this day:

 
 

















 
Entry 13: Saturday, April 29, 2023


They have school here on Saturdays, so we went back to school, where they were finishing up the cultural festival. Today I was prepared for the heat with extra water, a cooling towel, and extra electrolytes. The morning started with a girls' dance troupe and drumming corps. It was phenomenal. After that, there were some other skits, dances, and awards. There were also MANY people standing up and giving speeches, thanks, and even a lesson. Overall, this day wasn't as interesting as the day before, and I spent a lot of time inside trying to cool off. After the festival we went back to Salamata's house for lunch and a nap. We sat in a more air conditioned room and Jalila taught the kids some words in English and some songs like Head and Shoulders Knees and Toes.






Entry 14: Sunday, April 30, 2023

Today there was no school. We went to Salamata's house to hang out. These kids love stickers, stamps, my hair, and learning. They get excited when we show up and ask me for a stamp on their hands immediately, but it sounds like they're saying "AMY! STUFF!" lol. My host gave me a dress to take home. It’s beautiful! One of the twins, Ahawa, told Sala that I wanted a brush. She believed her and she got it to brush my hair. The girls also tried to braid my hair, but it's too fine. It was adorable, though. We visited some of the male teachers who are single and share a home. Upon leaving, I left Sala's house children with cutouts of the state of Missouri.
 













Entry 15: Monday, May 1, 2023

May Day was today, which is like our Labor Day. Very few work, and even the internet refused to work. πŸ˜‚ We went to the market with Salamata and her husband and spent most of the day at our pool after we had a lunch of fish and rice. 
 
 

Fun things you can buy in the market! haha.











Entry 16: Tuesday, May 2, 2023

Today it was only 104 degrees out and there was a chance for rain. I was finally able to make my joke of I miss the rains down in Africa… lol. We taught English and met students and teachers after a relaxing holiday weekend. (It’s their Labor Day here). 
 
Our school we are in this week is not helped much by their government. Many of you know my small group of three teachers (the group of 15 all split up in 3 regions) raised funds to donate 300 calculators, rulers, protractors, and compasses. Why is this important? None of these 700+ students even have textbooks. NONE. Students in Dakar do, but not 8 hours from Dakar. We didn’t know how few resources they had before we came. The textbooks in the photo they sometimes use and make copies but most of everything is taught without a book. Students have notebooks and pens. The classrooms have chalk and chalkboards and sponges. 
 
We have been observing classes up till now but today and tomorrow we are teaching English to middle and high school. I did an English lesson on sports words in English. I also taught kids about how some women don’t marry and have children in the USA and how it’s a poor idea to think you will make a ton of $$ being an athlete. I encouraged the girls to play sports. Everyone is expected to marry and have children here not be single with 3 dogs, so they find me to be an anomaly. Many kids believe they can grow up and be rich off sports. I told them sports are good, but better for health and community than money.
 
They clapped when I said several things:
1. I am going to wear a Senegal jersey to the women’s World Cup this summer. They were very excited to know I would do that for their country.
2. I did an Ironman.
3. I could spin a basketball on my finger.
4. They also asked if I liked helping African students like them. I said yes and they liked that.
5. When Sali told them Senegal was my 36th country.
6. The best clapping was when a student asked how we are alike and different. I told them we are all the same inside. I just have white skin and short hair.
7. I teach BOTH HS and college. 
 
The students here are AMAZING and so respectful. Kids here have way more freedom and less supervision. Teachers get an afternoon nap break without students. Lol. The old man guard who looks like he might croak any moment drank my electrolyte water today during nap time. πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ BUT not without all the young men teachers passing my bottle around to make sure it wasn’t alcohol. πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ Sali said one of them said “I think this is some health drink.”
 
The food here is some of the best I’ve ever had in my 37 visited countries. Rice and fresh meat. Mixes of flavors I can’t describe. 
 
 



This is the oldest Nene. She latched on to me and always wanted to hold my hand on the way home from school. Def my fav!





Best meal of my ENTIRE trip.



Baby Nene and her brother Baba.































Entry 17: Wednesday, May 3, 2023

Today we were back in Kothiary for our final day. We got to classes as early as possible so that we could give our final lessons to students. We began with a lesson from Clarice, my friend from Philly, who did a lesson in English with her postcards. She had her students talk about themselves. The kids in Kothiary got postcards to write letters back to her students. After this we had a Q and A session. Talk about DEPTH. These kids wanted to know all sorts of things. I was actually put on the spot twice. One: I was asked how I supported BLM. Two: I was asked why I thought racism was so present in the USA. Since Clarice and Jalila are African-American, I was def a person to ask questions like this to! Sali told her students (in French) that I was one of the good guys and to not worry: I'm not racist. LOL. I'm glad she said that.

 

At the house we said goodbye to everyone and also got to get Henna on our hands and feet.





The kids loved my hair... lol


Adawa. She didn't smile.













This teenager wanted TONS of photos with me. LOL














The guard who drank my Liquid IV electrolytes...











Entry 18: Thursday, May 4, 2023
It was another LONG 8 hours back to Dakar, which everyone slept except me and the driver. I did clock him at 86mph at one point, though most of the time he was trying to pass trucks that were only going 40mph. A few hours in the AC quit, but he stopped in Kaolack where we used the restroom in a Gambian woman's house and played soccer with some boys on the street. They immediately talked to me and asked me about playing sports. I didn't even have a uniform or kit on! I had a dress on. I did show them some basketball moves, though, which entertained them for a bit. 

After arriving back at the hotel, I was put in a room with NO AC before we headed out to the African Monument of Renaissance, the largest monument in the country, and it was built by N. Korea.

I also wrote this:

I suppose if Christ was born as a baby in 2023 he would be born in a place similar to eastern Senegal. There would still be shepherds coming by to say hello just to show a future reader of the Bible that a baby can bring joy to even to the poorest of the poor.
There would be no room in the Inn but the core value of Teranga would be followed and a family home that houses 32 people would find room in more than a stable. The best room in the house would be given up. There would be food made by those in the house and more from neighbors who brought it by and all the moms in the area would make sure everyone was cared for. Mary would recover at the hands of mothers and grandmothers who have walked the path of childbirth for generations. Joseph would brush shoulders and share fist pumps with the village carpenter and tradesmen. It would be 112 during the day and 91 at night, but someone would still make sure to find cold water for everyone and make sure mom and baby were comfortable.
The star would shine bright, but more than likely because all others are dimmed through the dust of the Africa plains. Little children would peek their heads around the door to catch a glimpse of the babe or curl up next to him while he slept, dancers from all tribes would come to share a song like the angels did, and astrologers from many tribes and nations would come in not by camels, but stationwagon cars without door handles or hitch a ride on the back of a charter bus that lost it’s A/C years ago. Or maybe ride on top of a smaller bus or a military car to see the one they had dreams and visions about.
We often romanticize that the Christ child was white and that the world looks much different than it did 2000 years ago, but I assure he wasn’t white and the majority of the world is still very, very poor, but happy nonetheless.
And have to wonder if Jesus was born an African, would you still worship him? Some of you refuse to serve your brothers and sisters with different skin color and cultural heritages, so why would I believe your faith and religion are nothing more than a smoke screen or way to look good in the public eye once a week?
Would you be okay with a black baby, a black African man saving you? Or would you lose even that humanity of a Savior like you did when you said George Floyd’s cries of I can’t breathe surely can’t sound quite the same as I thirst and My God why hast thou forsaken me?
Was it God who turned his back on Jesus or us?
What if we keep turning our heads to the poor but we keep forgetting that when we remember the least of these we are doing the same to a King of Kings?
I’m convinced Jesus was born into poverty for more than just a way to tell a good story to the whole world. Our white, rich, washed up narrative of Him mixed with sickening Christian nationalism isn’t the story of the gospels.
Not now.
Not ever.
Somehow I’m convinced that many of us have lost sight of the messy beauty of the birth story that the resurrection story can’t touch: that a baby will bring joy to any place or culture and everyone is welcome to witness the community and hope for his future that we hold for all humanity.
We are lost in everything BUT Christ and the most important thing he came to teach. LOVE.
And maybe that’s really what it’s all about: BABY Jesus is more about us/we than he is about I/you/me, that joy, and that community.
Yeah, maybe he’s still all about love and those other things.
But it’s the many of us I’m not convinced know what that love looks like contextualized on a global scale instead of in our own little worlds...
 















The principal at Kothiary gave us all fabric as a gift.






 


Entry 19: Friday, May 5, 2023

This morning we spent debriefing our past 2 weeks as a group. It was an emotional time of sharing, and I made the group cry. After the day was over, I did write this reflection, which I believe to be the most important reflection of my trip:

Resignation. Brene Brown lists it as one of her 87 emotions in her book Atlas of the Heart, and it’s the best word I have to encompass all my emotions I’ve felt during the past 2.5 weeks. 
 
My friend Ruby sent me this message a few days ago: ‘Africa is like a secret. We (especially white Americans extra especially for midwestern Christians) were only told predominantly negative things about because of racism/elitism and the need to feel that our bubble is the best bubble and everyone should aspire to it.
 
What I wanted to say is that I see you and I hear you - opening your eyes and your heart and your highly intelligent brain. The world always seemed small to me until I went to India the first time and then later started traveling in Africa. Africa is a secret. [It’s] Not the Kenyan safaris - [it’s] the Africa you are living and receiving now. 
 
And it will forever change you and a lot of people will say “oh be careful! And you’re so brave!” And all of that is said with good intentions
but I will say you needed this.
You are an incredible writer and your post about race/perceived misconceptions— best thing I’ve read in a very very long time.’
 
To say that travel changes me is an understatement. It always does something to me deep down.
To say Africa changed me is also very true.
For a lot of my adulthood, but a large majority of my last 10 years of living, I have been grieving leaving my past and most of my beliefs and misunderstandings of my youth and finding who I am and who I want to be without restraints or shame. I have been healing and climbing out of depression to who I am today. The past decade or more of my life has included many crises of many aspects things like Africa being only safaris and starving children that I now label “things I used to be and believe.” 
 
I am resigning my old self and childhood continually, I suppose, but this trip took me to a place in the deepest parts of my core that finally feels like the beginning of the end.
And there is peace in that sentence alone that feels like a giant sigh. 
 
Had you told me 10 years ago when I started this Fulbright journey that this would finally be my time and my place, I actually WOULD have believed you, but I also don’t think I would have been as ready, especially post-healing, to receive all of these lessons, gifts, people, and country as completely I am at this moment in time. My gratitude is overflowing in my heart for the Fulbright program, our hosts, my new friends, and this incredible professional development experience. 
 
So here’s to whatever is next in my life: I’m at last 100% resigning all I believed myself and the world to be to what is finally truth.
And to that I say to my future: je n'ai pas peur!
And for the time being, I say in the words of my friend, I needed this.
Au revoir, Afrique.


West African Drumming & Dance – Senegalese TAM-TAM - We had a drum and dance group come to our hotel and teach us dancing. SO FUN!

Dinner Location: Jet CafΓ©, Cor des Almadies

Tonight we ate at a bougie beach restaurant, and I took glamor shots of everyone who wanted a photo in their African dresses and tailored attire.

Tonight at dinner I got inducted into the Black Coalition by my buddy William. “Why?” I asked. “Just by being YOU!” He replied.
I then told all of my black friends sitting around me, I’VE BEEN WAITING FOR THIS MY WHOLE LIFE!
Then we went out for live jazz and drinks in Dakar. 😍😍😍 My St. Lucian friend said the same sort of thing and invited our small group to St. Lucia Carnival 2024. Let’s just say I’m clearing off my calendar NOW! πŸ‡±πŸ‡¨πŸ‡±πŸ‡¨πŸ‡±πŸ‡¨
I’ve had the BEST time meeting new people and making new friends who love adventure.
 



Me, Clarice, and Jalila. Forever grateful for these two amazing women!

















Lists of people who live in Sali's house





Entry 20: Saturday, May 6, 2023


We spent the morning leisurely getting ready for the day and packing up for our flights. Our morning activity was a trip to an orphanage, which was less sad than I thought it might be. The one we went to is focused on reuniting kids with parents, as most of the kids there are "lost" kids. There was one young mother there with her baby, as her parents had disowned her and kicked her out of the house. As far as we were told, these children were not adoptable. We had fun playing soccer and basketball with some of the kids.

After that, we headed to our final lunch. I got a taxi back to the hotel and then to the airport to head to The Gambia.








Entry 21: Sunday, May 7, 2023

Toured The Gambia today with Arch Tours. Private tour! The highlight was eating donuts while using a stick to keep monkeys from eating them out of my hand. The monkey did take a Fanta right out of a Dutch lady’s hand, however. She and her partner thought I was Dutch, saying I looked like them. Lol. I told them Europeans usually tag me as Scottish or British. This is the first person to say this even after hearing me speak lol. I should have told her I do have Dutch in my family tree about 8 generations back.
But y’all. I’m still trying to figure out how I sound Dutch. And why everyone in The Gambian airport thinks I missed my flight… πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
πŸ˜‚
I also got to pet crocs, visit a regular market and fish market and livestock market, and I fell asleep on the beach. Life is good, but I’m ready to be home. Tomorrow I plan to surf as it’s my last day before the several day journey home. 
 
Overall, The Gambia is a friendly, laid back place! Consider it for your travels and a day stop.

ALSO THIS: CRAZY TRAVEL STORY TIME. Never a dull moment in my life and I’m over it... also… These African men. πŸ™„ SO over them.
Guy at the jazz bar a few nights ago kissed my hand TWICE before he went in for the kill on my St. Lucian friend.
Yesterday Man child working Passport control: Looks over at my passport in his coworkers hand, reads my last name, then asks: do you fancy me?
Me: huh? *tells him I can’t understand him just to make sure I DID hear what I thought I did.*
Him: (2 more times) Do you fancy me? Are you single?
Me: *looks at his 20 something year old self and decides I better just break his Gambian heart and say I’m in a relationship.* πŸ˜‚☠️ and that’s exactly what I said. Worked like a charm! Lil’ boy was speechless. Lol.
These men also can’t ever figure out my age, which is the absolute best when I tell them I’m a teacher and they ask for how long and I drop 20 years. I see them all try to do math in their heads. πŸ˜‚
BUT y’all. If some random Gambian guy friends me on social media I’m calling the US embassy!
As one of my friends said: I’m worth more than green card possibilities… (I say this somewhat jokingly but this is a real thing here: men trying to find women from the US or Europe to marry).
Then I arrived at 1230 am at the airport and my driver never showed. After being pestered by several men, I went inside and started looking for him again. Some lady was joking with me and I asked if she spoke English. She did. I summarized my issue and she took care of it by finding me a driver. She then said to call her if I had any issues the next 2 days. I looked at her photo on her contact profile and said “Are you a coach?” “Yes. I’m head of the Senegal woman’s national team.” I wasn’t sure if she was being truthful as there are SO many scammers at the Senegal airport, and I’d been warned of this ahead of time. We talked soccer and I found the article below about her. She’s DEFYING gender norms in Senegal, that’s for sure! Check out the article about her below by putting it into Google translate.

Entry 22: Monday, May 8, 2023

 Surfed once again. Sea sick once again. I did get up but the waves were VERY rough even for the seasoned surfers I was with. Still happy to enjoy the moment at this cool dive bar and surf village.

After I ate, I texted Jalila and joined her and Ousmane and a friend by taking a boat to the tiny, yet picturesque N'gor Island. The island is super small and full of art. I rented a paddle board and enjoyed the water.

















Entry 23: Tuesday, May 9, 2023 and Wednesday May 10

In today’s edition of did Amy get hit on? The answer is yes. The stories are this: yesterday a few of us went to N’gor island to chill and view the artwork. I rented a paddle board for an hour and halfway through I started taking with some local 20/30year olds. The gal who was sharing my board with me asked me how old I was and if I was single. Then she proceeded to try to hook me up with her 31 year old brother and her 52 year old brother of her best friend. “Girl, you need a man from here! They’re mmmmhmmm!” πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
πŸ˜‚
This morning while running I got hit on by a fit and young guy with half his teeth. He immediately asked me for his number and that he was a great guy. I immediately told him I was taken. He was like AWWW MAN!!! 
 
The second guy told me he was a fitness coach and that he wanted to train with me tomorrow. He did have all his teeth and was very fit. He then made sure to add in that I was very fit and hot and had a great body. I told him I was leaving tonight for Belgium (which isn’t a lie; it’s my layover on the way home).
If not for anything, if I need a boost to my self-esteem and proof that I’m still decent looking to people of all ages, I will come back to visit Senegal. πŸ˜‚πŸ€·πŸ½‍♀️

Brussels was nice to walk around this morning, but I’m finally back in the land of being able to use credit cards instead of cash, clean bathrooms, toilet paper, cheese, and Mexican food.
I can’t wait to be home in my bed with my babies. Y’all think I love traveling and think I could do it full time, but I assure you that life isn’t for me. I like being gone a few weeks at a time at the most, then I very much love being home with my dogs and my people.
 
 
 






 
 Closing:
 
Photos below of my African tailor-made dress. I wore it to work the week after I returned. I will close by saying that I did three days of presenting about Senegal to my students. The biggest take-aways are this (from my students):
1. Senegalese students are far more respectful than American students
2. We (American students) have far more to learn from other cultures and their emphasis and attitude towards education than we as American students have to offer the world.
 
I can say with those two sentiments, my work here is complete! ;) 

 


 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment