1/1/24

1987: A School Shooting Through the Eyes of a First Grader

Thirty plus years ago March 2 1987, I was a tiny seven-year-old sitting in a first grade class on a what I remember to be a sunny day. Before the regular school day was over, we were told that we would be sent home early. We then heard on the bus from the older kids that there was a school shooting in our high school building. For a seven-year-old, this was scary. I understood death very well, being a farm kid and pastor's daughter. Dad was always having a calf die or he was attending a funeral where he was the minister. However, I didn't understand that guns were dangerous until that day. Guns were just something Dad and Grandpa had around the house to "take care of the coyotes" if they messed with the cattle.  

 Guns weren't for the death of a person. 

 My dad was on the school board the year of the shooting, and years later I found out that he was gone a lot during that week to help deal with the aftermath. Newspapers and even news channels all over the country blared the news about our tiny town of 250 souls. My dad saved many of the paper clippings, which I also found in his office when I was older. Various articles have been published since then, all citing similar details: there was a bully, the shooter warned several that he was going to do this, no one took him seriously, and it wasn't a school shooting like some of the ones we have heard of in more recent years. One of my friends who was at the high school that year recounted the full story to me in harrowing detail. How her sister saved students, how the teacher saved lives, how he held the shooter in his arms until help came.

Dear God. The nightmares that had to have followed.

During my high school years, I would walk past the deceased boys' final 7th-grade portraits in the hallway each day. Timothy Perrin. Nathan Faris. One was deemed a hero by many newspapers and other students. The other, a bullied adolescent. Every single day of my seventh- through twelfth-grade years, I saw those boys and wondered, "Why?," and felt sad about the losses their families must have still felt. They were so young. They had whole lives ahead of them, cut short. Even today, I can, with absolute clarity, close my eyes and bring to life the morning sun shining in on their photos in the cases in the southeast hallway. Two smiles that will never again be apart of this world.

In 1999, I was a freshman in college, eagerly starting on my teaching degree when the news broke about the Columbine shooting. My nineteen-year-old self viewed everything that day through the retrospect and memories of a seven-year-old. New questions filled my mind: What if that day back in 1987 had been like Columbine? It could have. Why would someone want to kill so many people? My heart broke all over again, just like it would each time I heard about another school shooting over the decades to follow. I would be a teacher in just a few short years. What if this happened at my school where I was teaching?

Fifteen years into my teaching career, I can promise you that there are no quick fixes to eradicating school shootings. There is no single, solitary cause. I wish there was a quick fix. I think we all wish that. Please understand: I don't go to school each day thinking I will die. I don't go to school each day in fear. But I can promise you I do go to school every day with that seven-year-old still inside of me. First grade is a lifetime removed from me, but that March day in 1987 is not. So I do what I can, just like all of us can. 

That seven-year-old is present every time I train my students how to act and react if an intruder was to show up.
That seven-year-old is present every time I talk to my students about what I remember about having a school shooting in my district when I was little. 
That seven-year-old is present every time I have discussions about bullying. About kindness. About doing our part to make the world a better place. About gun control. I allow my kids to express their ideas, even if we don't always agree with each other. I play the devil's advocate, as they do with me. We challenge each other, and do so with respect.

If I can leave you with a few thoughts, I'll start with this: Bullies aren't solely teenagers. Adult bullies exist, too.
Don't believe me? Just go to any major online news story and look at the comments threading below, streaming from both sides. Or maybe look on your own posts on social media and the comments below. Did you delete or block someone recently? Or restrict them from seeing your page or commenting on your posts about your perspective on a recent issue? The hate I see online is unparalleled. There aren't bullets in these online forums, but there are words that sting without civility, which, too, are not acceptable. 

I'll wrap things up with this: remember your own seven-year-old self and the lessons you learned in those formative years; remember them when you encounter the horrific news we see all too often.

The perspective of a child is not the perspective of my somewhat jaded and cynical near-forty-year-old self (or whatever your current age is). I doubt many first-graders would post what we post online, right? I'm guessing that a majority of you had teachers, friends, and/or parents who taught you about being a good friend, helping others, integrity--how to be a decent human being. We can't fix the school shooting or gun-related issues over night, but we can all do better, myself included, to treat each other with kindness while the processes are all in motion. We can brainstorm from all walks of life and political backgrounds to do the best and right thing for the next generation. 

So yes, let's keep talking. Keep this conversation going with your own children (regardless of their ages), your families, your friends, your co-workers, but with respect.



Links worth reading/watching:
Article about the DeKalb, Missouri shooting:
https://www.upi.com/Archives/1987/03/03/Death-of-unsung-hero-allows-classmates-to-escape/3177541746000/ 

I didn't mention this at all, but this TED talk is very powerful. Sue Klebold talks about the death of her son who was a shooter at Columbine:
https://www.ted.com/speakers/sue_klebold 


Written in 2019, updated 2024.

This is my most read blog at 5100 hits. I do take it down from time to time, however, because of its harrowing content. Thank you for reading it. I hope you'll help me help change our country with better ways to protect children.

No comments:

Post a Comment