Where the San Jose city and coastline of Pebble Beach and Carmel by the Sea redwood breeze
The first time I touched the ocean
6 years old
No cares in the world except what is Grandma making for dinner and when will mama be home and is dad working late and can he play ball with me
Take me back to Disneyland age 9 the Pirates of the Caribbean were my only nightmare not real world bullies and gut punches like job losses
Take me back to the first time I felt the leather of a baseball, the grit between my fingers breaking in my glove each night so it would become one with my hand
Take me back to days without pain, heartache, heartbreak, any of it
Can any of you look me in the eyes, in person,
not behind a screen to the person in front of you
—and speak truths yet with gentleness--
as if I were 8 year old me?
Could you do it?
I don’t want to feel anymore
I don’t want to go though this life hurting over and over again
Oh to be a child and not hurt except when I fell off my bike or skinned a knee
No comments:
Post a Comment