Below is a list of books I've read since 2018, a quick comment or two, a
rating on a 1-5 scale (5 is the best), and note that they're in the order of when I read them (at least in 2019).
I'll continually add to this post each month. As I remember books I've read in the past (before 2018), I will add them to the bottom list.
I'd love to talk to you about what you have read!
2025 BOOKS (mostly in order... lol)
1. Beyond Anxiety: Curiosity, Creativity... - 6/5 Martha Beck is the fucking queen. LOVED this book.
2. Humankind: A Hopeful History - 5/5 Super good book about hope. A must read for the depressing state of our nation.
3. Briefly Perfect Human: Making an Authentic Life by Getting Real About... - 3/5
4. Bittersweet: How Sorrow and Longing Make Us Whole - 6/5 SO fucking good and cerebral. Not at all what you think it's about. There is SO much depth to this book.
5. When We Flew Away: A Novel of Anne Frank Before the Diary - 4/5 She talks about California and love a lot, so I loved this book. Super easy read. Made me miss my middle school English teacher.
6. The Smartest Kids in the World - 2/5
7. The Anxious Generation: How the Rewiring of Childhood is Causing an Epidemic of Mental Illness - 4/5
8. War -
9. No Bad Parts -
10. Financial Feminist - 4/5
11. One of Our Kind - 4/5
12. Falling Upward -
13. Gathering Moss: A Natural and Cultural History of Mosses -
14.
2024 BOOKS (in order of what I read)
1. How to Be the Love You Seek - 6/5 A MUST read. Chapters 4, 8 , and 9 are most important! Audiobook is better than paper copy, IMO. (read most in 2023, but finished in 2024)
2. Rich AF - 4/5 - I love Baby Steps Millionaire more...
3. Lonely Planet Spain and Portugal Best Trips - 5/5
4. The Happiness Trap: How to Stop Struggling and Start Living - (my therapist recommended this) - 5/5
5. Humankind - 4/5
6. Revenge of the Tipping Point - 5/5
2023 BOOKS (in order of what I read)
1. The Light We Carry - 1/5
2. Finding Me by Viola Davis - 5/5
3. The Urgent Life 3/5
4. Sex Talks - 5/5
5. You Could Make This Place Beautiful - 2/5
6. Emergent Strategy - 5/5
7. Slaves for Peanuts - 1/5
8. The Myths of Meritocracy - 5/5 (LOVE Malcomn Gladwell)
9. How to Keep House While Drowning - 4/5
10. Spare - 5/5
11. I'm Glad My Mom Died - 5/5
12. Build the Life You Want - 1/5
13. Heretic - 1/5
14. Thicker Than Water - 3/5
2022 BOOKS
2021 BOOKS
2020 NON BOOKS
1. Missing in Alaska - podcast - 5/5 - Mystery, conspiracy, and more. You'll binge this!
2. Dolly Parton's America - podcast - 5/5 - I also binged this. INCREDIBLE. And not all about Dolly.
3. Son of a Hitman - 5/5 - Wait. Woody Harrelson's dad was a hitman? Possibly in on the JFK assassination? This podcast will blow your mind.
4. No One Saw a Thing - Sundance Channel Docu Series - 5/5 - Skidmore Missouri is ONE f*cked up town in Missouri. True story about a murder in broad daylight with 50+ people watching.
2020
1. We Need To Talk: How to have conversations that matter - 5/5 - SO good. Scientific. Super interesting about things like putting away your cell phone, how empathy is paramount and the richer you are the more of a jerk you're likely to be in the area of empathy, how to ask questions the right way and that matter, and more.
2. Dante's Inferno - 3/5 - It was okay... I know it's a classic but still...
3. A Mother's Reckoning - 6/5 - Klebold's book will move you in ways you didn't know you could move. Stunning, shocking, heartfelt, honest. A book EVERY parent must read.
4. Small Wonder - 5/5 - Kingsolver's essays about parenting, nature, writing, and events such as Columbine and 9/11 will touch your heart and make you think. LOVED this book.
5. The Old Man and the Sea - 2/5 - Sorry not sorry, Hemingway.
6. Around the World on Two Wheels - 4/5 - Interesting story about a woman who supposedly biked around the world in 1895.
7. Midnight in Chernobyl - 4/5 - Excellent book about the disaster. Some dry parts, but overall, pretty unreal what happened.
8. Never Split the Difference - Negotiating As If Your Life Depended On It - 5/5 - Not at all what the title implies. Definitely a must read when it comes to how to have better conversations!
9. Emotional Intelligence: Why It Can Matter More Than IQ - 2/5 - He has good concepts and ideas, but I feel like there are even better books out there about this.
10. The Bible's Yes to Same-Sex Marriage - 3/5 If you read this, skip to the chapters that interest you. Not all are that interesting. The best chapters are in the middle where he does an exegesis of scripture and what was REALLY being said.
11. Three Women - 1/5 - Why did this book get rave reviews? Too much sex, and not even good sex, at that.
12. Nickel and Dimed: On Not Getting By In America - 2.5/5 - It's outdated, but still has some good points.
13. The Sun and Her Flowers - 4/5 - Not as good as her other book, but not horrible either. Explores grief and your roots.
14. Homeland and Other Stories - 2/5 - I usually love Kingsolver, but didn't find this one held my attention at all.
15. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone - 5/5 - For YA fiction, this was delightful. And well written.
16. A Long Walk To Water - 5/5 - For YA readers. Very good. True story.
17. Intuitive Eating - 4/5 - Good book, but not for everyone. Really helps, though!
18. Stamped From the Beginning: The Definitive History of Racist Ideas in America - 5/5 - Good book about the history of racism. Starts out strong and weakens as the book goes, but still a work of wonder. I learned insane amounts of information. I did wish he'd spent more time talking about connections of racism to homophobia and women's suffrage. He hits on them, but barely. The book really challenges what we learned and didn't learn in school.
19. Unschooled - 4/5 - This book really challenged my thinking about what it means to be "schooled." I'm hoping to use some of the ideas from it in my classroom, and if I had a spouse and kids I'd be up for this, albeit with trepidation.
20. What We Talk About When We Talk About God - 5/5 - An excellent book about how and why we talk the way we do about God in our day and age.
21. Invisible Women - 5/5 - SO good. Gender bias is everywhere. This book looks at the research, especially when it comes to the medical field. A must read for women, and especially those in the med field.
22. Untamed - 6/5 - WOW. Glennon Doyle's memoir is so raw, simple, and honest, and I knew it was going to be good from the first chapter, Cheetah. She talks about everything in this book: parenting, growing up Catholic, her divorce, finding love, loss, life, death, loneliness, and working through some tough shit over her life in these and other areas and what she learned through everything as a 44 year old woman. It's positive and insightful and will make you laugh and cry. I hate to talk it up so much and have one of you read it and be let down, but damn. It's just THAT good. I loved it so much I bought it and am re-reading it, and I barely re-read books.
23. Little Fires Everywhere - 1/5 - This book was just so-so. Apparently people loved the tv show. Maybe it's better than the book? Book just didn't have that great of a plot.
24. Searching for Sunday - 4/5 - The late Rachel Held Evans writes a great book about the sins of the church and her leaving it while still clinging to her faith. This book is honest, yet full of grace and forgiveness.
25. The Testaments - 5/5 - The sequel to The Handmaid's Tale, which I LOVED was perfect. If you loved Handmaid's Tale the book OR the show, I think you'll love this too.
26. Hallelujah Anyway - 3/5 - This is my first Anne Lamott book. It was okay. Hoping to try another one of hers I'll like more.
27. Free to Focus - 5/5 - Good book about getting more done, more efficiently.
28. Go Set a Watchman - 3.5/5 - Harper Lee's sequel to my favorite book ever, "To Kill a Mockingbird" was good, and different, but how can you outshine TKAM? You can't.
29. When the Emperor Was Divine - 4/5 - YA book about Japanese internment camps. Very good imagery and a compelling read.
30. Circe - 4/5 - First person narrative about the greek "witch" Circe. An extraordinary retelling of her "life story." I'm not into mythology that much, but this reads like something different.
31. Jesus Wants to Save the Christians - 3.5/5 - Interesting read by Rob Bell about the book of Exodus and what it means to evangelicals today. Started out good but waned a little in the middle.
32. For the Time Being - 5/5 - My first Annie Dillard book, and what an incredible and beautiful book about humanity, world religions, sage advice, living, dying, and everything in between. Highly recommend for our times.
33. The Social Animal - 4/5 - David Brooks is so insightful. A great read.
34. Anne of Green Gables - 5/5 - I read this 30 years ago and wanted to re-read it. Such an amazing book and so well written.
35. So You Want To Talk About Race - 3/5 - While I agree with most of what the author says, she provides very little proof/studies/research/support to her arguments. She has some, but would have liked to see more.
36. Me and White Supremacy - 4/5 - Good, short book about examining yourself for racism and other stupidity related to it.
37. The New Jim Crow: Mass Incarceration in the Age of Colorblindness - 5/5 - WOW. This book was surprising, historical, factual, and overall, amazing. Highly recommend for anyone. I liked this book a lot.
38. Finding Chika - 5/5 - This book was so sweet. I listened to it on a few runs. I cried at the end. On my run...
39. The Devil in the White City - 5/5 - I've been wanting to read this for a while. Dark and good!
41. The Rubaiyat - 5/5 - Ancient poem/epic poetry perhaps. It's good. Insightful. I try to read a classic work every month or so.
42. Invictus - 4/5 - Fun YA book about time travel and history. I enjoyed the subtle allusions to literature and music.
43. Bettyville - 5/5 - A man who grew up in Missouri comes home to care for his aging mom. Good, reminiscent, and heartfelt memoir about small towns and family and a million other things.
44. Resistance: A songwriter's story of hope, change, and courage - 5/5 - Tori Amos discusses the past 20 years or so and the world through song. Cool perspective.
45. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets - 3.5/5 - Not bad, but not as good as book one.
46. The Book of Longings - 5/5 - Super well-written book about a fictitious wife of Jesus. Very much not what you'd expect. I loved the woman-centered story.
47. How to Be Antiracist - 3.5/5 - Not as good as Stamped, his other book, but still worth a read. It's a rough start but gets better as the book goes on.
48. White Fragility - 4/5 - Good. Should be read with "Me and White Supremacy" as they tackle the same subjects yet from different angles.
49. Present Over Perfect - 4/5 - Really good book. Hard to describe. Not exactly for me, but rich advice and insights about being present.
50. Between the World and Me - 3/5 - This book was so-so. Lots of people love it. I couldn't get into it, but get the message and don't downplay it one bit.
51. One Summer - 5/5 - Bill Bryson is a writing genius. I loved this book about flight/airplanes, famous people and world events, baseball, and other fun things that happened 100 years ago. True story about literally one summer. VERY good.
52. I'm Still Here. Black Dignity In A World Made For Whiteness - 5/5 - WOW. Of all the books about race/racism/etc this has been one of the BEST. Short read, too. About a black woman who has a white man's name given to her intentionally by her parents.
53. The Hidden Life of Trees - 2.5/5 - A little dry, but also a little interesting.
54. The Hate U Give - 5/5 - such a good YA book about racism. Not a true story but highly insightful and engaging one. Loves this book.
55. An American Childhood - 3/5 - Dillard is good, but I didn't really like this one.
56. Men, Women, and Worthiness - 5/5 - Brene Brown is so amazing. Short but perfect read.
57. Everything is Fucked: A Book About Hope - 2/5 - Manson's other book is amazing. This one is ehh. Not bad, but not good. I loved some of the book but it wasn't focused enough on hope for me. haha.
58. The Bear - 2/5 - Fiction book about a girl and a bear. Was so-so. Not a lot of plot.
59. Unfuck Yourself: Get out of your head and into your life - 2.5/5 - Good advice, but not that exciting of a book with good advice. Not that it needs excitement...
60. Sorry I'm Late, I Didn't Want To Come - 5/5 - I loved this book about a gal and her mid-life adventures.
61. How to Raise a Wild Child - 3/5 - Not bad, but was hoping I'd get more ideas out of here for school.
62. Essential Keys to Effective Communication in Love, Life, Work--Anywhere! - 4/5 - Quick, concise ideas for better conversations. Not bad.
63. Dear Ijeawele, or A Feminist Manifesto in Fifteen Suggestions - 6/5 - This is a MUST read. One of my favorite books this year. Super short. Super amazing. A must read for parents, especially.
64. Spark Joy - 4/5 - Quick guide about the KonMari method. Pretty good ideas to follow.
66. On the Bright Side - 4.5/5 - Really funny book about women's lives. Just positive and good.
67. There, There - 4/5 - Interesting read about native/first nations people. Hard to explain.
68. Thirteen Reasons Why - 1/5 - I'm not sure why this got rave reviews. Stupid book. Sorry not sorry! YA Lit.
69. All the Light We Cannot See - 3.5/5 - I wanted to like this book but just couldn't get into all of it. It does have some good spots.
71. There, There - 3/5 - Interesting book and style, but was just okay.
72. Harry Potter book 3 - 4/5 - Not bad, but I'm beginning to think all these books are the same story! haha.
73. Walking With Mary - 6/5 - Excellent read about the mother of Jesus. Very surprising.
100. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix - 1/5 - The worst HP book ever. Enough said. LOL. She didn't have an editor for this book and it shows!
Inspired
2019
1. Medium Raw - 5/5 - Sassy, sarcastic, and a little crass. Bourdain is a lot of fun.
2. Orange is the New Black - 4/5 - Not at all like the show. The show is better, but the book is actually eye-opening.
3. Bad Feminist -5/5 - This book has a bunch of short essays in it about being a woman. SO good.
4. Catcher in the Rye - 5/5 - I hated this book till page 175, then once I found out why this kid was a hot mess, I loved the book. The last few chapters with his sister are priceless.
5. Girl Walks Out of a Bar - 4/5 - Decent book about a woman who quit drinking and now inspires others to do the same. Honest.
6. Milk and Honey - 5/5 - One of the most delightful poetry books I've ever read.
7. The Power of Vulnerability - 5/5 - This should be required reading for everyone ever. So good.
8. Angela's Ashes - 0/5 - I hate this book. Guy talks about his penis way too much and his story telling skills are lack luster. He also shouldn't sing. That's all.
15. Prodigal Summer - I need a summer love this hot. Just saying. Plot is slow to develop, but Kingsolver's writing style is second to none. 4.5/5
16. Where The Crawdads Sing - 1/5 I might be the only person in the universe that didn't like this book. Plot was too drawn out and predictable.
17. I'll Be Gone In the Dark - 5/5 - Good, scary, and the author was relentless in finding this guy!
18. Hunger, A Memoir of My Body - 4/5 - Memoir by an obese author. Very good.
19. Running and Being - 5/5 - Different, but very good. Lots of philosophy and deep thoughts about running and existing! I might buy this one to keep.
20. Everything is Horrible and Wonderful - 5/5 - Very good, sad, funny.
21. Radium Girls - 5/5 - Fascinating true story!
22. Feminist Fight Club - 5/5 - I LOVED this book. I'll probably buy it.
23. Hidden Figures - 0/5 - The movie was good. This book? WTAF?
24. Born to Run: A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen - 5/5 - Such an amazing book about amazing athletes. Not only was this well written, it almost convinced me to do a 100 mile race.
25. Hot Lights, Cold Steel - 1/5 - A surgeon's account of his first few years of residency. He's no Atul Gawade, that's for sure.
26. Sailor and Fiddler - 1/5 - An author writes about his life as a writer. It wasn't that interesting.
27. The End of Average - 6/5 - I LOVED this one. Lots of food for thought. A LOT of mind-blowing information about what we think average is, but isn't...
28. Down From the Mountain - 4/5 - A man, a bear, Montana. Good, quick read.
29. American Gods - 1/5 - Too long. Too much non-story. Too much weird sex. This author is too much hype, IMO.
30. Where Men Win Glory (The Pat Tillman Story) - 5/5 - This guy was out of his league. I loved this book and the historical account that is intertwined with it.
31. Finding My Voice (by Mike Reilly) - 5/5 - The voice of the Ironman finish line tells his favorite stories of the iconic race throughout the years. This book is SO inspirational!
32. Becoming - 5/5 - Michelle Obama, can we be friends?
33. When: The Scientific Secrets of Perfect Timing - 3/5 - Not bad, but not exactly an interesting read. It wasn't what I was expecting. It was short, however.
34. Deaf Republic - 1/5 - poetry and allegorical story. I liked two quotes, a lot, but the rest of the book wasn't that good. "The deaf do not believe in silence. Silence is the invention of the hearing." and "At the trial of God, we will ask: "why did you allow all this?" And the answer will be an echo: why did you allow all this?"
35. 21 Lessons for the 21st Century - 2/5 - I wanted to like this book based on the title alone, but really didn't. I thought it would be something deeper or more applicable. It was deep, but I didn't feel empowered or like I learned many new things. I felt in a lot of places this book was just a rant about political parties.
36. The Emperor of all Maladies - 3/5 - The title was much more interesting than this Pulitzer prize winner. History of cancer. Good info, dry read.
37. The Marrow Thieves - 1/5 - I have no clue why anyone on the internet raves about this YA novel.
38. Moonwalking With Einstein - 3/5 - Decent book about memory. Does have some interesting take-aways, if I remember right... ;)
39. The Nature Fix - 5/5 - Everyone knows nature is healthy for you. This book proves it with studies, facts, and medical proof. A great book about getting out in nature!
40. Between Shades of Gray - 4.5/5 - Wonderful historical fiction YA book about a family in WWII from Lithuania.
41. 1924: The Year That Made Hitler - 5/5 - Deep, intriguing read about the year that the author contends made Hitler who he was (more than other years...). Very fascinating, intellectual. Don't expect to read this book fast! I googled so many side stories because they were so unbelievable or eerie.
42. The Terrorist's Son: A Story Of Choice (TED Original book) - 5/5 - His dad was a terrorist. He made the choice to live a different life. Powerful.
43. Roar: How to match your food and fitness to your female physiology for optium performance, great health, and a strong, lean body for life - 6/5 - If you're a woman and workout on a regular basis, you need this book in your life.
44. Einstein's Dreams - 6/5 - This book is hard to put down, but you'll need to put it down now and then just to think through some of the author's musings about the concept of time. There isn't much of a plot, so don't be disappointed there. It's more about the constructs and ideas he presents. SO deep.
45. The Communication Book. 44 Ideas For Better Conversations Every Day - 5/5 - I saw this book overseas this summer and thought it sounded interesting. It was! Not all of it will apply to your life, but I can promise you you'll walk away learning how to do something better when it comes to relationships, work, or even self-talk.
46. Educated - 5/5 - Wow. Just, wow. Westover's story is like a movie, one where you can't make this shit up. Highly recommend this one.
47. Truth and Beauty - 5/5 - I often don't cry when I read, but the end of this was bittersweet and had me on the verge of tears as the author paints such a loving and admirable writing of her deceased best friend who was one of the most interesting people, a youth cancer survivor, and an award-winning author. Such a wonderful book and tribute to a lifelong, true friendship.
48. Of Love and Other Demons - 2/5 - It won the Nobel Prize and was based on a true story that also partial legend. I mean the story was okay, and a little weird, but not my style...
49. The Island of Sea Women - 5/5 - A WWII historical fiction novel about a lifelong friendship of two haenyeo sea divers on the island of Jeju. Very good! (I highly recommend googling about the haenyeo and how they're incredibly strong women of "independent spirit, iron will and determination," Jeju, their history, and there are even videos about the present-day ones! Currently they're protected and recognized by UNESCO's Intangible Cultural Heritage list). Check out this BEAUTIFUL, incredible, short film about Korea and the women (one of them is 94 yrs old!!!): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6nLCFbVCMQ (start around 14:00 min).
50. How Doctors Think - 3.5/5 - Good insights, but really long stories that get to his point. Not a bad read. A lot of food for thought! He wrote this for patients more than Drs, but I can see how both can benefit from some of his suggestions.
51. Thinking, FAST and SLOW - 3.5/5 - Really long but interesting, but, again, really long and a LOT of information. Talk about metacognition! I liked reading it the same time as How Doctors Think because they talk about similar things and a lot about heuristics. I think I need an annotated, summarized version of this with charts. Some of the stuff was a little bit toooo much. LOL.
52. The Pursuit of Endurance: Harnessing the Record-Breaking Power of Strength and Resilience - 4.5/5 - Part history, part science, part health/medicine, this book about hikers and runners on the Appalacian Trail is fascinating.
53. Talking to Strangers - 5/5 - Gladwell's latest book is arguably controversial, a little mind-blowing, and very interesting because of the examples he uses from recent history (mostly the past 50 years). Worth the read about how we act, think, and interpret others, and vice versa. This explains a LOT about a lot of relationships too, though he doesn't necessarily broach that topic.
54. Inferno - 4.5/5 - I liked the historical setting of this book. The story wasn't bad, a little predictable, but I love Florence! (and sometimes Venice... haha)
55. Dare to Lead - 5/5 - Brene Brown is the best there is out there for taping into your potential as a human being. LOVED this one.
56. Grit: The Power of Passion and Perseverance - 5/5 - Angela Duckworth is amazing. This book is def worth a read.
57. Sharp Objects - 3/5 - I don't read a lot of fiction, but we are reading this in book club. A little too creepy for me.
58. Rising Strong as a Spiritual Practice - 5/5 - Another Brene Brown. She doesn't write anything bad.
Braving the Wilderness - 2/5 - Not Brene's best. Good points, but just couldn't get into it.
Hamlet - 5/5 - I read this every year with my AP class. One of my favorites.
Our Town 5/5 - My favorite American play.
The Other Wes Moore - 5/5 - Such a great story about making right choices in life.
By the River Pierda I Sat Down and Wept - 5/5 - I loved this work of fiction. BEAUTIFUL prose and quotes. If my life turns out this way, I'll be the happiest person in the world.
A Life Without Limits - 3/5 - Decent story about an Ironman's life. Chrissy Wellington is a freaking stud! Story was just average, though.
A Wrinkle in Time - 5/5 - Beautiful fiction about time travel and the power of a parent/child relationship and love. Really makes you think!
The Handmaid's Tale - 5/5 - Riveting fiction. I love the show and loved the book just as much. Unique genre of survivor fiction/witness fiction.
Heart: A History - 4/5 - Interesting book about the history of the heart in healthcare/medicine.
When Breath Becomes Air - 5/5 - Tough read. A surgeons thoughts on dying as both a doctor and patient.
Elite Minds - 5/5 - SUPER interesting book about how valuable our attitude is for fitness (and other parts of life). If you like psychology and the medical field, this is a must read.
The Checklist Manifesto - 5/5 - Loved this one about medical field and airline pilots. Cool correlation!
Known - 1/5 - Good concepts, but just was a little boring.
Three Little Words - 4/5 - It's not about love, FYI. About foster care and adoption. Good book.
The Tattooist of Auschwitz - 4/5 - Historical fiction. Heart-wrenching love and triumph story.
The Alchemist - 3/5 - Fiction. Beautiful prose by this author, but the story seemed too unrealistic. Maybe not? Lots of food for thought!
Animal, Vegetable, Miracle - 5/5 - Cool nonfiction about foods we eat and other related miracles.
Ageless Brain - 4/5 - Not bad. Had some interesting tidbits about our brains.
Notorious RGB - 5/5 - Fun book about Ruth Bader Gingburg. Need I say more? Woman is a badass.
Fly Girls - 6/5 - This book is awesome. Tells the stories (some good, some horrific) of women pilots around the time of Amelia Earhart. I didn't want to put this one down.
The Great Alone - 2/5 - I might be the only person on earth who thought this book was just another young adult novel written by a non-young adult author. I loved the setting, but the story was predictable.
Life's Too Short to Go Fucking Slow - 2/5 - Was okay, but just couldn't get into the story.
You Are An Ironman - 3/5 - Stories about average people who completed the Ironman. Some were really really good, others were ehhh.
Packing Light - 2/5 - This lady went on a road trip to all 50 states and wrote a lame book about it. That's all there.
Bluewater Walkabout - 3/5 - So-so book about a family's travels to Africa.
The Butchering Art - 5/5 - History of Victorian medicine, but mostly amputees and germs. SUPER fascinating.
Blink - 2/5 - This book tried too hard.
What the Dog Saw - 2/5 - I couldn't get into this one.
You Are A Badass - 3/5 - Not bad, but have read better books of this genre.
Being Mortal - 5/5 - I loved this book about how we have the end of our life wrong, medically speaking.
The Year of Magical Thinking - 4/5 - Good, but depressing in the sense that this lady had some sad things happen.
Better - 5/5 - I like everything Gawande writes. Guy can tell a story.
Girl, Wash Your Face - 4/5 - Excellent book about not comparing yourself to other women.
Astrophysics For People in a Hurry - 4/5 - If you like NASA/space/etc, this is informative and easy to understand.
The Day the World Came to Town - 5/5 - Incredible true story about 9/11 and 38 planes that landed in Newfoundland. The Broadway musical "Come From Away" was based on this book.
The Outliers - 5/5 - Loved this book. Really makes you think about what you might have wrong about the underdog and about education.
David and Goliath - 5/5 - same as the last book. I like Gladwell's books a lot. Mostly.
Tipping Point - 4/5 - Not as good as the above two, but still pretty decent.
Option B - 4/5 - Good book about when life has other plans.
The Glass Menagerie - 5/5 I like this play a lot. Lots to talk about concerning the crazy main characters.
Before 2018
A Million Miles in a Thousand Years - 10/5 My favorite non-fiction book EVER.
Blue Like Jazz - 5/5 Donald Miller is by far my favorite author. This book is an honest conversation about God, spirituality, not believing in God, and not conforming to what religions say to conform to. So good.
Searching for God Knows What - 4/5 Donald Miller again. Good.
Scary Close: Dropping the Mask and Finding True Intimacy - 4.5/5 Donald Miller takes three. Drop the mask and be the real you. Most of this book is NOT about sex, FYI.
Through Painted Deserts (also known as Prayer and the art of Volkswagen Maintenance) - 4.5/5 DM takes 4! Great road trip book!
To Own a Dragon - 4.5/5 DM takes 5. About life without a present dad.
Into Thin Air - 5/5 Harrowing. I read this book over 6-7 years. LOL. True story.
Torn - 5/5 Best book I've read about the gay Christian argument and if the Bible really says gay is a sin.
The Lovely Bones - 5/5 One of my favorite works of fiction. Beautiful, heartbreaking, hopeful.
Sex: God - 5/5 Super deep book about sex and how we've fucked it up. No pun intended.
The Fault In Our Stars - 5/5 Loved this HS love story. Bonus: the Anne Frank House is in it.
Turtles All the Way Down - 5/5 One of the best fiction books I've read about mental health. HS kid has thought process OCD. Such a good ending, too.
Every Day - 5/5 Amazing YA fiction that really teaches the idea of putting yourself in someone else's shoes. Kind of a must read if you like YA fiction. Without giving it away, a kid named "A" wakes up in a different body each day, but falls in love and makes a point to go after the love of their life.
Lord of the Flies - 5/5 Just a good book.
Fahrenheit 451 - 6/5 Relevant and so many things to think about. LOVE.
Romeo and Juliet - 3/5 Teens fall in love in two minutes or something like that. It's a classic, but I'll always think it's a little overrated.
Frankenstein - 5/5 This book is a favorite because it's rich with themes about mental health, ethical science and medicine, and scary but real unknowns.
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn - 3/5 This one was hard to get into... not going to lie!
Tom Sawyer - 4/5 I love Twain's short chapters and satirical twists he throws in here and there.
To Kill a Mockingbird - 6/5 I love the last few sentences most, but this book just warms the hear.
Wuthering Heights - 3/5 Too many Katherines. Right?
The Tempest - 4/5 Good themes, sort of weird story.
The Diary of Anne Frank - 5/5 Survivor non-fiction at it's best. Such a classic!
No comments:
Post a Comment